Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Indigenous interests take precedence over party membership

This is Glenn Wheeler, reaching out to you, our followers, regarding my membership in the Liberal Party of Canada and Ontario.

The following are my personal comments and do not necessarily reflect those of my co-host Steven Vanloffeld.

I have decided to resign my membership in the federal and provincial Liberal parties.

I do so not because of dissatisfaction with the actions of either Liberal government. I believe (as, I think, do most Indigenous people in Canada) that we now have the most supportive federal government in generations, perhaps ever. The government of Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne has also been an ally.

However, I have come to realize that my role as co-host of Native Currents makes Liberal Party membership awkward. Our objective with the podcast and our related activities is to take a critical look at the biggest issues of the day in Indian Country.

The interests of our peoples comes first. I am concerned that party membership might create the impression that I would play off our peoples’ interests with party interests.

I would not.

Moreover, if I concluded that it was in the best interest of our peoples to support another political party, I would.

Going forward, I will choose who to support – candidate and party -- on an ad hoc basis.

Rest assured that on Native Currents, I will call it as I see it, without any obligation to a political party.

No comments:

Post a Comment